Monday, October 22, 2007

 

Council Tax Blues

Being in quite impecunious circumstances, I am having difficulty in managing my finances. There is yet more month at the end of my pay. Bad news came from the council demanding its full Council Tax - it seems that calculations are to blame. I have got into arrears and the Council is demanding its full-whack.

I phoned the Council, a Nigerian accent did not so much greet me but admonished me for getting myself into this shit. I had some discussion with the voice - she told me that I had around £200 "hard cash" - she kept on using "hard cash". She offered to set up a direct debit for me there and then. I had lost track of the number of council tax payments I had made. I told her that I would come back to her. The gruff voice responded well begrudged affirmation - this felt like a threat - if I did not cough up the money I would be dragged off to some privatised calabouse in Downtown Lagos until I come to my senses and pay the council the money owed to it.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?