Saturday, August 04, 2007

 

I'm Skint

I checked my bank account today, the figures told a pretty horrible story - I'm skint. When skint, the bills start to wash around your head like dirty clothes in a tumble drier. I paid the council tax. I paid the rent. What about the holiday? Got to pay for that, the kids expect that. Get the credit card out. The current account, however, indicates that I have too much month at the end of my pay.

Things could be much worse. I heard that repossession of homes is up 30% on last year, this means that numerous people have lost their place they call home. It's not good - these people are struggling and surely there is a better way than this property owning bullshit to provide homes for people.

By unusual coincidence, we got "The Pursuit of Happiness" out of the library. Ever since the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I have always had a soft spot for Will Smith - cocky but funny, even in "I Robot", it comes peeping through; but he carries his films extremely well. In this film, however, he plays a completely different ball game with a different set of rules. A man, Chris Gardner, and his family living in impecunious circumstances, having to flog medical equipment to survive. We see his marriage break up and we see both he and his son having to sleep rough and live in motels and doss-houses. He plays this part completely straight and with such passion that I started to live in his shoes (or lack of one - see the film). The film has lifted my despondent mood. Great stuff , Will - you are what acting is all about! Getting people to live your character's life.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?