Tuesday, August 14, 2007

 

Accents and Class

Class is alive and kicking in this country, don't let anyone kid you otherwise. While waiting for a bus, a twelve year old woman passed me by babbling into her mobile, I caught these words "It like changed my life?" - It was not a question but an inflection which made the phrase sound like an inflection. Her accent had the usual crisp middle class tones but lightly peppered with American - Valley Girl sprung to mind. Given all of this, I could not imagine her barging a pushchair on to a bus in ten years time.

My guess is that in thirty years time, her kind of dialect will become the received pronounciation whereas "ya know wot I min" will be left to the rest of us.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?