Sunday, July 17, 2005

 

Ted Heath Dies

Saddened by the news of Ted Heath's death today.

I entered my teens when he came to power. I was full of rebellion and learned about politics thanks to his administration. I supported both miners' strikes against him. I remember the three day week and London been in the dark. The city looked quite dull in order to conserve energy - there was a ban on using advertising lights during the day. It presaged the conservation on energy. Now we are spending it with gay abandon.

I grew to like Ted with the passage of time. He opposed Thatcher.

Blair paid tribute to him by describing him as a politician of integrity (!).

Tony Benn described him as been more left-wing than Blair.

Good-bye Ted.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?