Saturday, May 21, 2005

 

Jean Paul Satre

While driving to see C, there was a programme on Jean Paul Satre this morning, it was quite interesting. I have never read Satre, but am familiar with his work by a serialisation on BBC2 in 1970 – The Road to Freedom. My pubescent curiosity made me tune into such programmes when my parents were out. To my surprise, I was only thirteen at the time, I got interested in the story. The programme was repeated in 1977/8 and I was able to watch it in more detail. Sartre lived and worked in a hotel on Rive Gauche, interesting to note that he used to smoke and that his café of choice has now banned smoking; photos of him have his cigarette airbrushed out. There was a recording of him speaking about liberation and freedom – I must say that his diction was beautiful, each word spoke in clear crisp French. I must start to read The Road to Freedom trilogy.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?